Objectives of the Division
- To ensure the development of comprehensive public health policies, sustainable strategic plans, programmes and budgets to cover all activities of the Service at all levels.
- Undertake periodic review of the activities of the Ghana Health Service and that of its programme implementation partners in the area of public health; and
- To cater for the design and application of support, monitoring and evaluation systems for purposes of assessing and improving the operational effectiveness of the Ghana Health Service’s public health interventions and disease control.
The Divisional Director is responsible for the core functions of the Division and exercise of authority by the Director is derived from and consistent with his responsibilities as well as authority delegated by the immediate superior. In effect, the superior authority of the DG/DDG guides the exercise of authority but the coordination and development of strategies for the execution of the core functions is the responsibility of the Director and his deputies. The Director coordinates and mediates departmental and interdepartmental issues.
- Coordination, guidance and development of short, medium and long-term plans and budgets for the Ghana Health Service’s public health programme development, including the preparation of projects and programmes for local and international financing consistent with the Sector-Wide/Multi-Sector Approach;
- The development of surveillance and disease control systems for both communicable and non-communicable diseases consistent with national, bilateral and international expectations
- The provision of support, monitoring and evaluation of EPI programmes and projects in collaboration with the Regions, Districts and other health programme implementing agencies with a view to promoting program effectiveness and efficiency;
- The review of public health intervention financing and resource (human and infrastructure) allocation strategies and its impact on access, quality and efficiency to consumers
- The production and management of health information for the general public consumption as a decision support system, made accessible to health consumers, individuals and households for effective decision-making;
- The Provision of Maternal, Adolescent, Child and Reproductive health and nutrition services through the development of collaborative strategies with other service providers;
- The Monitoring of the implementation of all public health field programs and projects initiated by the service and ensure the prudent utilization of budget provisions;
- The Provision of technical support for the Regional Public Health Reference Laboratories
- The development of early warning systems and the management of epidemics
- Disease Control Department
- Disease Surveillance Department